Monday 21 November 2011

Not forgotten; just...stewing

I'm still on schedule in my goal of finishing Hide and See before Christmas, which is just as well because I've got something else to write before then too.

It's a Secondary-World fantasy fiction, started when I was in college.  I began writing it at my brother's request and have produced instalments for him on special occasions - Christmas, birthdays etc.  I started it with perhaps a vague idea of it just being one novel (I say vague because I didn't really have any idea how to plan back then) but it has since morphed in a trilogy.

Based on the word count and where I am in the story, I am on the third book.  I always said I wanted to get the whole first draft done before going back and editing the beginning.  This is my policy for everything I write simply because otherwise I'd never finish anything.  However in the case of the fantasy trilogy, it has been something like seven years since I wrote that first bit of the novel and I'd like to think that my writing ability has evolved since then.

Translation: the beginning of the first novel (or perhaps the entire first novel) is mostly bollocks.  It really does need some major editing and it's not something I'm looking forward to.  As I like to rant on a fairly regular basis, I don't like editing.

But, according to my own self-imposed rule, I don't have to worry about that just yet.  It's the actual writing which will need my focus before Christmas.  I left the last instalment on rather a massive cliff-hanger and that was in March.  I usually write more than two instalments a year but my brother has had less special occasions than normal so I'm blaming him.  That and the fact that I've been writing Hide and See.  Although I'm normally writing numerous different stories at once.  So no, I'm blaming my brother.  All his fault.

So for now, it's back to Hide and See.  According to the Mystical Schedule of Amazingness I should be finished with the first draft by Saturday 17th Dec, thus giving me one glorious week to write around seven thousand words of the novel I haven't looked at for nine months.  Yeah, not difficult at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment