Monday 13 August 2012

New Ideas Not Welcome

I tried to start this blog post off in a different way than normal, bored with my current format, but I ended up going into such a mind-numbing drivel of nothingness that I've decided to stick to form and just go on my merry ranting way as usual.

Or that's my intention, at least.  I've been sat here for over half an hour now and have very little to show for it other than a mounting level of frustration.

I watched a television programme earlier, recorded many months ago, about the women at the court of King Charles II.  It gave me lots of ideas, even beginning to plant the idea for a book in my head, giving me a few characters and then a plot and then some subplots and relationships.  All of this is simultaneously very exciting and very annoying.  Because now I can't seem to think about anything else.

Therefore I would like to say this to my brain: I don't need any more new ideas at the moment, thanks very much.  See all these half-finished works I've got going on?  Yeah, let's focus on that, shall we?  That would be jolly smashing.

But I don't think that's going to work somehow, not with the utter lack of logic my brain possesses.  And no, I don't know why I ended up talking to my brain in a very posh voice.  Nor, really, why I'm actually talking to my brain at all.

See, this is what happens when I force myself to stare at an empty blog entry for minutes on end and make myself put something, anything, down on the page.  You get insanity, people, pure and simple.

So I daresay the next few days will be occupied with me trying to ignore said new idea and trying to focus on Hide and See's sequel, still tragically without a name, the poor little thing.  I did make some progress this week, finally nailing down the first four chapters, although I am (predictably) less than happy with them.  Oh well, that's what second (and third and fourth...) drafts are for!

No comments:

Post a Comment