Sunday 23 June 2013

What if...?

Plans for book 3 are storming ahead with new ideas and theories springing into my mind throughout the day, although more often than not at completely inconvenient times - say, at work or when I'm just going to bed.

But ideas are good and I'm not going to gripe too much about when they appear - I'm just glad that they do.  In fact, they've been appearing so much that I'm starting to wonder... is one more book on this story going to be enough?

There are so many things I could do, mythologies I can create and develop, that I've started almost thinking - a soft, barely-there whisper in my head - that taking it to 4 or 5 books might not be as ridiculous as it sounds.

After all, the last thing I want to do is try to cram too much into the third book and just end up making a mess of it.  I know I have the tendency of trying to squeeze in more than the words will allow and I don't want to leave this story with a half-arsed conclusion because I couldn't fit everything in.

However, I don't want to become that writer - the one who drags a story out when it should have finished already.  The one where you read the books and think 'this isn't necessary; this should've ended two books ago.'  And how can we tell when we reach that point?

But this is all just pondering - nothing's set in stone.  That's what the planning process is all about, right?  Having a good old think about the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment