Wednesday 28 November 2012

The NEXT BIG THING blog hop

I was tagged to be a part of this meme by Reb Alexander at Witchway: A Writer's Journey to Publication, whose debut novel is called The Secrets of Life and Death and is going to be published next autumn. Her version appeared last Wednesday.

What is the title of your next book?
Well if by 'next' this means the one I intend to send to an agent in the hopes of representation, that would be Hide and See.  This is book 1, and I am currently in the process of writing book 2, as yet unnamed.

I also have another, unrelated book - Fall - which is near completion.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I started Hide and See as part of an Advanced Fiction module for my MA.  I have no idea where the idea came from - all I remember is sitting there with a blank page, trying to think of something to write for one of the workshops.  It was raining outside, so I wrote that it was raining.  A young woman - Rhonda - appeared and her story just bloomed from nowhere.  I also remember trying
half-heartedly to not write fantasy but completely failing.

What genre does your book fall under?
Primary World Fantasy

What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition? 

Hmm... I've never seen anyone who would be a perfect fit.  I suppose a younger, British version of Jeremy Renner might be good for Joel.  Although that could just be my obsession with The Avengers talking.

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Rhonda, a Seer, and Joel, an Empath, search for answers about their abilities and for other 'Specials' like them, all the while avoiding the Hunters who would capture and kill them; but are they safe with their own kind or are they in danger from both sides of this war?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I would like to be represented by an agency but it does involve actually writing to some for this to be even a slight possibility.  And I will.  Promise.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
Around fourteen months, although not continuously as I had other university work to be done in that time, so there were a few months where I didn't look at it at all (usually coinciding with getting marks back for submissions...)


What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Books from authors such as Kelley Armstrong, Ann Aguirre and Jaye Wells are in a similar genre.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I've had some fantastic encouragement from people on my course, particularly Reb Alexander and Natasha Liu-Thwaites.  Without their support, I'm not sure I ever would have finished book 1, let alone be writing book 2.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I wanted to write a story set within our world with a fantasy twist - and have not a single vampire in sight.



It is at this pointing in the process that I should be tagging the next round of people to do this meme survey thingy - but alas, I know only one other writer with a writing blog and she's the one who tagged me.  I guess this branch of the blog hop ends here.

No comments:

Post a Comment